FOLEY, Ala. (WPMI) Nine people living at an apartment complex in Foley ended up at the hospital complaining of breathing problems. One person remains hospitalized.
All nine live at the Park Place Apartment complex, in different buildings though. Why they got sick is a mystery.
Ashley Dominguez's brother was one of them. "My sister-in-law called me and said my brother was down, was not breathing and he was vomiting and that they were on their way to the hospital," said Dominguez.
With so many complaints, hospital protocol is to notify the fire department. Foley's fire chief said doctors were concerned there might be a carbon monoxide problem.
"Hazardous materials. Technicians used monitoring devices to test for levels of carbon monoxide and found no indicators of any abnormal levels. In fact didn't find any recordable levels of carbon monoxide in the area," said Fire Chief Joseph Darby.
Only Dominguez's brother was hospitalized the other eight patients were sent home.
"They are checking my brothers lungs for possible mold spores growing in his lungs," said Dominguez.
Hospital officials would not confirm if mold is suspected. Management at the apartment complex say the fire department did the right thing but wouldn't comment any further. They did say they would conduct their own testing and work with the fire department.