(MOBILE, Ala.) Out of five Southern Alabama school districts, a representative for just one said Tuesday that it is looking into installing carbon monoxide detectors in its schools following an incident in Atlanta.
Chickasaw City School District Superintendent Kyle Kallhoff said the school board held the discussion Tuesday morning, and is currently shopping around for carbon monoxide detectors.
"We're just trying to research right now what would it cost to get them in, especially the places that are prone to leaks," Kallhoff said. "I think that the school where our students are was built in the late 50's. It would be wise for us to, again, just for caution purposes, to research and install them."
The move comes after a leak of the odorless, colorless and deadly gas sent 42 students and seven adults to the hospital in Atlanta Monday, and forced the evacuation of 500 students.
Kallhoff said it is a necessary cost for the cash-strapped school system. He said he wants do all he can to protect his nearly 900 students.
"We need to err on the side of caution," Kallhoff said, "if it means investing a little bit of money to make sure our kids are safe and something like this doesn't happen. I know that it happened in Atlanta. It can very easily happen in Chickasaw."
Carbon monoxide alarms are not legally required in most states including Georgia and Alabama. Only Maryland and Connecticut have passed laws requiring them in schools.
Satsuma and Saraland School Systems could not be reached for comment. Mobile and Baldwin County School school representatives were not available to comment about carbon monoxide detectors.